SC - Recipe shared

Morgan morgan at mt.net
Mon Oct 13 22:32:01 PDT 1997

> From: LrdRas at aol.com
>

> So share! :-O
> Ras

	OH<  OH<  Please dear sir, my arm hurts as you twist it . . . .

BARLEY MUSHROOM RISOTTO

	1 cup pearl barley 		1/2 lb. Portobello mushrooms chopped
	4 cups vegtable broth		1 onion coarsley chopped
	1 cup water			1/2 tsp. mace
	1/2 cup currants		salt & pepper to taste

Rinse barley and place in two cups liquid to soak overnite.
In large heavy pot over medium flame bring small amount of broth ( 1/4 cup)
to boil and add mushrooms.  Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.  Remove
'shrooms from pan and set aside.  Add onion (and possibly another 1/4 cup
of broth) to pot, cook stirring often until onion is softened.  Add 1 cup
broth and bring to simmer.  Drain barley from soaking liquid, and rinse.
Add barley to pot, as well as macecooking 5 minutes, stirring until liquid
is nearly absorbed.  Add remaining broth/water to barley mixture 1/2 cup at
a time, stirring frequently, not adding more until liquid has ben absorbed.
 When the barley is tender and nearly all broth has been absorbed (45
minutes) stir in reserved mushrooms and currants.  Cook a few minutes
longer -- until risotto reaches desired consistency.  Season with salt and
pepper to taste.

	BTW:  I have used golden raisens instead of currants with good results,
and in a pinch I also used a small canned of "shrooms for the portobellos.
I know, cheap and tacky,  but it got the dish made, and no one the wiser
that they were cheated.

	My deepest apologies for not just sharing the recipe, making you ask . . .

	Sincerely
	Caointiarn
Who believes that cooking, like Love, is to entered into with abandon, or
not at all