SC - head cook vs. feastocrat

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 17:10:47 PDT 1997

<< Had a bit of a discussion on this with my newest apprentice who taking
 charge of his first feast this candlemas.  "Feast-o-crat" is the common
 term here, and i told him when he began using it that I was uncomfortable
 with it - as a made-up word - and thought that head cook was a better
 term.  I would enjoy hearing some commentary on the list about this so
 that I can share it with him. >>

My lord and I are attempting to stop using the word "feast-o-crat" as an
abomination that has no place in a historical recreation setting.  The
argument that "It's a common word that people understand" holds no
conviction, for the term "head cook" is so blatantly obvious in its meaning
that no one could possibly misunderstand it.
When we are cooking we use the term "head cook"; and as seneschal and
chatelaine as our shire we have a certain influence on the other members as
well, which we try to use to teach by example.

I also like Master Adamantius' suggestion of "kitchener".  That would need a
little more explaining - but not more than feastocrat initially would!

Brangwayna Morgan