SC - Re: Spam-a-Thon!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 18 23:36:12 PDT 1997

Jasper Fieth wrote:

> > [real tiny quiet voice coming out from under my rock]
> > I like fried baloney sandwiches on white storebought bread now and
> > then...
> >
> > [margali crawling further back under her rock]
>
> With or without melted storebought american cheese?
>
> Esko

Without, infidel. Russel Baker's recipe for fried bologna a la Nutley,
Nouveau Jersey, is quite clear on this. It is to be fried in a
dangerously hot pan, held down with a large fork, until the room is
filled with blue smoke. It is served on air-filled white bread with
thick lashings of mayonnaise, and washed down with a BromoSeltzer.

Run, do not walk, to locate either whatever back edition of the New York
Times this is to be found in, or else get hold of Baker's book, "So This
is Depravity". In it there is an essay entitled "Francs and Beans"
describing alternate courses of two dinners: one being the dinner won by
Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey in an auction to benefit public
television, and the other being Baker's dinner that same night, when he
arrives home to discover a note taped to the fridge saying that his wife
is going out with the girls, and that he should get his own dinner.

This is probably the greatest satire on food writing in the history of
the English language.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com