SC - Cockentrice and peacock (was: below the salt)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Oct 19 01:58:11 PDT 1997

At 11:12 PM -0400 10/10/97, Kathleen M Everitt wrote:
>How about a cockentrice? Not my idea. Local Count, noted for his love of
>eating, suggested it for my above the salt. Or a peacock. Steppes Twelfth
>Night back in '82 served one at head table. I have no idea what it really
>was - a peacock or some sort of subtlety, but it had all the peacock's
>feathers, including the tail. I have a picture of it, but I never did
>find out what it was.
>
>Julleran

Madeleine des Mille Roses did a pair of cockatrices for head table at a
Midrealm coronation feast some years back, using a capon, a suckling pig, a
15th century recipe (I think) for stuffing for roast pork, an Elizabethan
ruff around the capon-headed cocketrice's neck, and a recognizable attempt
at the new king's armour (made out of shortbread) on the pig-headed
cocketrice.

Master Chiquart (chief cook of the Duke of Savoy, 1420) recommends that you
use a roast goose and dress it in the peacock's feathers, on the grounds
that goose tastes a lot better than peacock.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook