SC - period cheeses

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 19 18:56:50 PDT 1997

Brid asked:

okay, so cheddar is out,
brie and swiss are in...
what other cheeses are period, and which are not?
<<<<<<<<<<<

The following messages are excerpted from my cheese-msg file:
(Stefan's Florilegium, FOOD section)

Stefan
- -------------------------
From: jtn at nutter.cs.vt.edu (Terry Nutter)
Newsgroups: rec.org.sca
Subject: Re: Cheese questions
Date: 25 Nov 1993 04:59:30 GMT

Greetings, all, from Angharad ver' Rhuawn.

Fiammetta Adalieta writes,
>munster cheeses (if I remember correctly) are not period.  I was wondering
>what sort of cheeses are, and how we know.

I looked this stuff up several years back, and came to the conclusion that
there are several lines believed to go back to period, but that I couldn't
readily find out why they believed them unchanged.  The period or very close
cheeses that I recall offhand still in use today are cream cheese, cottage
cheese (but fresh, not aged), brie, and double gloucester.

- -- Angharad/Terry