SC - Re: Late period is NOT medieval

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Thu Oct 23 20:36:55 PDT 1997

>Actually, the SCA covers 400 A.D. to 1600 A.D (the end of the 16th
>century).
>While I agree with Ras that post-1500-ish is not strictly medieval,
>neither is
>the early part of our timeframe.  However, that is the timeframe
>allotted to
>us by Corpora.
>

>Derdriu

Corpora never allotted us 400AD. The beginning date of the SCA period is
never mentioned. Many choose to use 456 (fall of the Roman Empire) as the
beginning date, but that is hardly "Medieval". Historians don't agree on
the dates of the Middle Ages,  stating everything up to 1066 (William the
Conqueror). But since what we are re-creating is knighthood, chivalry,
devine right of Kings and all that, I would say that a better date is 815
(crowning of Charlemagne). Sorry, just one of my pet peeves. Please don't
flame me, just disagree quietly. Thank you.

Julleran, BA in History with a concentration on the Middle Ages,
University of Houston, 1982