SC - birch

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Thu Oct 23 22:01:58 PDT 1997

On 23 Oct 1997 09:11:00 -0700 "Marisa Herzog"
<marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu> writes:
>                      RE>>SC - birch
>10/23/97
><snip>
>Take a birch tree, treat it like a sugar maple. the juice resulting can
>be fermented into birch beer, or condensed into syrup. One of theese
years I am going to try it, having birch trees on the farm.
>margali
><snip>
>
>oooh- I want some, birch beer is my *favorite*
>-brid

A recipe recently found for birch leaf wine (Actually a leaf wine in
general recipe; since I live in Oak Heart, I am going to do the oak leaf
wine this next spring): Pick 4 qts. of very young oak or birch leaves in
the early spring when the leaves are the size of a mouse's ear. Pour four
pints of boiling water over the leaves, let stand for a day, and then
strain. Warm the liquid to dissolve two lbs. of sugar ( I think I'm going
to use honey instead and make it a oakleaf mead). Add one half cup lemon
juice and when cool, one tablespoon of yeast. Add water to make a volume
of one gallon, and ferment.
>From the chapter on Family Wines in _ The Beers and Wines of Old New
England.
Lady Beatrix