SC - Murri

meadhbh at io.com meadhbh at io.com
Fri Oct 24 04:28:54 PDT 1997

Attached is a copy of the recipe I used to make murri from Cariadoc's Miscellany.  I think it is from the 4th edition.
meadhbh

meadhbh

Aine, Hope these recipes help. Let me know if  you need more.
meadhbh

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Byzantine Murri

Recipe By     : Cariadoc of the Bow
Serving Size  : 10   Preparation Time :2:00
Categories    : Sauces

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   3      tablespoons   honey
   1 1/2  ounces        bread
   1      tablespoon    wheat starch
     2/3  teaspoon      anise seed
     2/3  teaspoon      fennel
     1/4  teaspoon      saffron
     1/3  teaspoon      celery seed
     1/4  ounce         carob
     1/4  ounce         walnuts
     1/2  ounce         quince
     1/8  teaspoon      salt
   1      pint          water
     1/4  each          lemon

Cook honey in a small fry pan, bring it to a boil. Turn the heat off several times during cooking.  It will taste scorched.  Bread is toasted (white bread) in toaster oven then mashed in a mortar.  Anise and fennel are toasted in a frying pan then put in a mortar with celery seed, walnut and ground.  Add all items to a pot, boil for a while.  Place in cloth bag and drain.  Liquid is used for cooking.