SC - Late-period is NOT

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 24 11:08:15 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval         10/24/97

<snip>
> feast. The bottom line is that I find it inconsistent with the Dream. :-)

Perhaps these feast cooks feel, as I used to, that there are no easily
available period cookbooks and the "Medieval foods" they have eaten were not
well prepared and, well, sucked. The challenge <snip>

I think there are also a lot of people willing to put the work into producing
a feast, who are in the SCA "just for fun"- for whom period-esque food,
costume etc., is quite sufficient to make themselves happy, and therefore do
not see the need to push authenticity.
Many of the "somebody's" in my local area are not particularly concerned with
detailed authenticity.  Not everybody who wears a "hat" or has a title
supports and encourages detailed authenticity, which is witnessed by all the
stories of the list of such and such a royal asking for food suiting a modern
palate.
Our "rules" of participation are not as strict regarding documentation of
everything we do.  Which in some ways is good, as it makes space for a wider
group of people, but in some ways is bad, as it makes room for others who just
don't try at all.
But I wouldn't necessarily write off somebody who doesn't make an entirely
period feast.  I'd rather have an edible non-period feast than an unedible
period one.  And I *like* period food.
- -brid
(whose persona just refuses to nail down to a specific time period, too many
neat things, but I try not to mix times on my person at any given time, and
for myself 400-1500)