SC - SC fizzy drinks

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 12:06:56 PDT 1997

<< I have never made and served beer in a
 barrel (poured by hand, as opposed to using modern keg/gas equipment) so
 I don't know how much gas it can keep. Does anyone have any useful
 research on this?

 Charles >>

My husband brews beer in the kitchen, and the truth is, it is not really
"fizzy" when the fermentation is done.  The fizz comes from still-active yeast
devouring available sugars and giving up carbon-dioxide in response.  I would
not recommend brewing and serving beer in an open keg because of the
possibility of either picking up wild yeasts and causing strange esthers in
your brew, or of getting the beer infected with some sort of bacteria that
will at the very least give all of your guests "the runs".
   I think that in period, one of the "fizzy" drinks served was new wine and
cider.  These were consumed while the yeast was still active, and therefore
had a low alcohol content.  These are still great favorites in Germany and
Sweden.

Tyrca