SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #390

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 24 15:52:21 PDT 1997

>Now this may seem like a strange request, but do you know of any other
>period drinks besides milk, that are white???  I'm planning a feast to be
>served in Mid-winter, that has a White theme (all of the foods served are
>white, called white, or started out as white).  I have this strange
>feeling that serving milk at a feast won't go over well, Any ideas???

Either the yoghurt milkshake that is arabic (sorry, don't know if it's
documentable), or Almond milk.

>I also wouldn't mind if people made suggestions to foods that might fit in
>(hint, hint).  Two things that I am looking for in particular are: soup (I
>was thinking of a seafood chowder... but the onion pottage that has been
>recently discussed looks interesting) and a spread of some sort (i was
>thinking of serving the bread swan subtlety that was talked about a month
>ago, but I don't know what to fill the "back" with...butter seems just a
>bit too far from white)

Fill your swans with fresh curds or fresh ricotta you make yourself from
whole milk. Fresh or green cheese or curds certainly are documentable. Mix
in some fresh herbs---dill and chives work very well together. Another good
one is hummus, which is sort of tan.

I'd be worried that your whole table would look, well, bland. Remember,
Presentation, Presentation, Presentation.

HTH

Aoife