SC - Manchet (LONG POST)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 25 06:38:17 PDT 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Good point.  Salt is generally added to improve the flavor of the bread,
> which is why I'll increase the salt the next time I make manchet. It
> does slow yeast activity and by doing so "sweetens" the bread.  The
> ratios of yeast/salt/flour differ based primarily on the length of the
> rise.

Salt is added to bread dough for several reasons, among them being
flavor, some control over the speed of the yeast's action, and and an
increase in the extensibility of the gluten strands. Leavened breads
made without salt tend to be heavier than those made with it, which is
only partly due to an effect on the yeast, but largely due to a
structural change in the dough itself.

This would probably be even more dramatic when used in conjunction with
extra-fine whole wheat flour, which, for the most part, is used for
pastry rather than bread, and is designed accordingly.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com