SC - white drinks and other

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 26 21:34:04 PST 1997

Kael asked:

>Now this may seem like a strange request, but do you know of any other
>period drinks besides milk, that are white???

Kumiss? Although, yes that was once milk.

> and a spread of some sort (i was
>thinking of serving the bread swan subtlety that was talked about a month
>ago, but I don't know what to fill the "back" with...butter seems just a
>bit too far from white)

Perhaps some sort of clotted or sour cream? Was the later used in the Middle
Ages? Are of talking about a condiment for just bread or other items? Although
not as useable, salt would fit and it is white.

Not for the swans, but wouldn't a turnip dish fit the idea of a "white" dish?
Was there a mashed turnip dish similar to our mashed potatos?

Stefan li Rous