SC - RE: Various topics

Gedney, Jeff (Xton) Gedney at executone.com
Mon Oct 27 06:40:05 PST 1997

on Saffron:
I have yet to be dissatisfied with the quality and price of the "mancha
select" saffron from "Spices, etc".

They are on the web at http://www.spicesetc.com
check em out. they have some harder to find herbs and spices as well,
like true Gumbo file, and Grains of Paradise.

on Knives:
I have a number of knives, from a variety of mfr's.
IMHO...
on a scale of 1 (bad) to 10 (exceptional)
rank	Knife
9	Sabatier 10" sandwich knife (from Bloomingdales)
10	Wusthof 6" (from a small cutleryshop in Madison CT called
	"The Cook's Place")
	Belgique Cutlery :
10	Bread knife  (I LOVE THIS ONE)
8	10" Chef's knife  (Handle is kinda clumsey, but Good weight)
9	8' cooks knife
8.5	6" sandwich
7	4" parer   (the handle is too small for my hand)
	(Belgique is from J.C. Penny's -- these are almost as fine as
	the Wusthof - Forged, full length tang, hold a good edge, etc.)
8.0	Chicago Cutlery 8" boning knife
4	American Eagle Brand 10" kitchen(Probably a wedding gift from a
well
	meaning but clueless relative)
6	Joyce Chen Stainless steel Chinese knife
8	The knives I got with my "hand hammered wok" Good carbon,
	tends to rust but sharpens well and holds an edge!

I reccomend the Belgique if it is still available. a good knove, well
constructed that has stood up to lots of use and abuse. Price is not too
dismal, and the availability is good (at least that was the case 8 years
ago, when I bought them...)

Brandu