SC - Cheesemaking Supply

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Mon Oct 27 15:28:17 PST 1997

>Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:30:44 -0400
>From: marilyn traber <margali at 99main.com>
>Subject: Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #391
>
>whereabouts in oregon? My lord has a friend in oregon, south west corner
>named Diane Sawall who raises goats for cheesemaking. If i can find a
>map in this mess I call home, I could even discern the town she lives
>in. OR you can call the local 4h and ask about kids with prohects, OR
>you could go to the nearest large animal vet and ask around discretely.
>I am lucky to have a dairy farm within an hours drive that sells raw
>milk- apparently CT doesnt have that silly law.
>BTW, they have a chemical you can add to milk to turn homog milk into
>cheesable.
>
>new england cheesemaking supply co inc
>85 main st po box 85
>ashfield mass 01330
>413-628-3808
>
>margali

Thank you for this address!  I copied it to file, and hope to order a
catalog from them right away!
   I live in Newberg Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Portland.  In the
Willamette Valley, West of the Cascade Mountains.  There are a couple of
dairies near here, but I don't know how to approach them, even to ask if my
kids could "tour" their dairy to see "where milk comes from", which I think
would be a wonderful experience.  But I'm too shy to interrupt their
obviously very busy lives.
   Someone on here suggested that I befriend the dairyman before approaching
them about getting non-homogenized milk.  That seems kind of... unrealistic.
I'm not the sort of person who can pretend to be one thing when I actually
have the goal of another thing.  Now, if we became friends as a result of my
asking for the raw milk, that's one thing, but I can't pretend to be friends
in order to get the milk.  And there IS a law in Oregon (I thought it was
nationwide, but apparently not) that prevents dairy farmers from selling
non-homognized milk.
Not just pasteruized, but also has to be homogenized.  I wish they wouldn't
force us to drink this stuff, the formaldehyde is EXTREMELY hard on the
digestive system.  I'd like to be able to make my own choices about what my
family eats and drinks.  Perhaps that's one subtle reason why I'm so
interested in Medival cooking - getting back to the basics.  back to the
REAL food.

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*