SC - cuskynoles

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 28 00:21:58 PST 1997

At 5:24 PM -0400 10/27/97, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>david friedman wrote:

>> Smearing it on all of one dole can mean covering all of one of the 3x6
>> pieces with the filling.
>
>True. We've gone into that. I'm just not satisfied that that is the only
>interpretation, or even the best one. This type of discussion always
>reminds me of that section of the Passover Haggadah where a deeply
>detailed analysis is made of various phrases, and you end up about where
>you started. For when Reb So-and-So said to hew it into any parts, he
>meant that we should hew it into many parts, by which he meant... .

>> >That isn't consistent with the rest of the instructions,
>> >though.
>>
>> Why not?
>
>Well, because spreading the filling in one solid, uninterrupted mass 12
>x 15 inches, or however you choose to interpret the dimensions of the
>illustrated object, would  ...

Huh? I just said that smearing it on all of one dole can mean covering all
of one 3x6 piece--not one 12 x 15 piece--and I thought you agreed that that
was a possible interpretation. So why is it not consistent with the
instructions? Do you assume that "smear your paste all of one dole" means
that you are using all of the filling to do it?

>I feel that the dots in the illustration
>indicate that  the filling is to be applied in little, round portions,
>as with ravioli, which would make a reference to a clean border
>unnecessary.

So you are treating the "smearing it on all of ..." passage as a mistake?

Why shouldn't the dots represent the high points of the folded pieces? If
you look at the picture, the dots are way too small to represent your
little round portions of filling.

>> But it says "and then fold together in the same manner as this figure" and
>> gives you the picture.
>
>I think the main area where we seem to be in disagreement is exactly
>what is portrayed in that picture. I am seeing it as the entire recipe,
>perhaps 8 x 24 inches or so, overall. You appear to be seeing it as one
>portion.

Correct.

>Applying pressure with the back of a knife, sandwiching a moist
>fillng between two pieces of raw pasta dough, to the point where the
>cells are sealed off from each other, and from the boiling water, to
>avoid either leakage or explosion from steam (it's almost impossible to
>get that last bit of air out before sealing!), and all without tearing
>the dough, is really quite an accomplishment. I wonder if perhaps this
>was due to differences in the pastry used?

Perhaps. As best I recall, I was using something whose texture was more
like pasta than like pastry. There is no mention of butter or other fat in
the paste, and I didn't use any; my impression is that when recipes from
that cuisine intend you to put butter in a dough, they say so. When you say
"pastry" are you using the term in the modern sense? It would make a large
difference to the interpretation.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/