SC - Picnics

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Oct 28 12:36:00 PST 1997

Hi,  sorry I can't get the signature off the bottom of this, I need
my husband here...

Cariadoc,

when you said that they didn't have picnics in period, I presume you
were referring to word use.  I have been puzzling over this, because
my definition of a picnic is a meal taken al fresco, usually away
from human habitation, but not necessarily, as a leisure activity.
It may or may not be part of a range of pleasurable activities.  Al
fresco meals with other activities are common, as you observed, and
for meals without other activities involved, one only has to reread
the Decameron, so I have come to the conclusion that you meant this
as the word not being used in period.  My knowledge of Middle
languages is limited to Germanic languages, so could you please
suggest a suitable word for us to use that is more period then?

Thanks

Cairistiona

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)