SC - Period Potatoes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 28 18:56:58 PST 1997

At 12:12 PM -0800 10/28/97, Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:
>>potatos aren't period.
>>  margali

>>And later, Dame Fiona herself said:
>>    Second, as far as the potatoes are concerned, the recipe was
>>    published in a German cookbook in 1598.

Does anyone know which German cookbook? Off hand I can't think of any with
that date. It would be interesting to look at the original recipe. I have a
vague memory that someone mentioned a secondary source recipe for rosti,
but not a translation.

>   I had seen that comment before that "Potatoes aren't period" but I don't
>see how this is possible.  There were Irish people living during Medival
>times, and  potatoes in Ireland are a STAPLE food!

And have been for several hundred years.

>In fact, I saw on TLC
>once, where hundreds of thousands of Irish men women and children starved to
>death at one point (sorry, it was a few months ago, and I dont' remember the
>date cited)

Mid 19th century.

> I'm far from an expert in
>Medival cooking, but I do not see how potatoes could be anything but period!

1600 is a long time ago.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/