SC - cuskynoles-My .02

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 29 19:29:43 PST 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << something should be
>  seethed over the fire (as opposed to over the ice?) >>
>
> Seethed over the fire as opposed to sitting the pot beside the fire.  It
> would indicate a medium heat as opposed to a low eat.

Of course. I was joking, in an attempt to decide why a comparatively
unnecessary instruction, like spices being ground in a mortar, or
seething over the fire, should be explicit, when a complex series like
pressing a series of indentations with the back of a knife blade, should
be implicit.  Of course, when the pot is on low heat, it isn't really
seething, per se.

> So far as the
> Cuskynoles recipe...IMO, there is little doubt as to the ravioli or perogie
> nature of the recipe. It appears as if most are missing the rather obvious.

Well, you and I both have a firm foundation in the K.I.S.S. rule, due to
professional experience. I agree, it's probably intended to be a ravioli
of sorts. Unfortunately, the recipe is kind of confusing, what with a
Middle English text even more primitive than the language used in the
Forme of Cury, and that diagram. You recall that the first time I
mentioned it, I was asking what people thought of it, since I was rather
confused by the whole thing.

> If a spoonful of the mixture is placed as per the illustration on the
> individual 6x3 piece and then folded over and sealed it becomes a 3x3
> raviolio/perogie type packet. Three of which wheb placed on a serving dish
> would look great. I see no problem with this recipe which is why I haveb't
> posted so far but I felt that the obvious should be pointed out. I think that
> there is a lot less to this recipe than the current discussion seems to
> portray.

I guess what's obvious to some isn't obvious to everyone. I don't think
there's any denial going on here. I thought I was pointing out the
obvious, too, but it apparently wasn't unanimous. I'd rather arrive at
the likely truth, though, than prove myself right.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com