SC - Modern Myths-period

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 21:22:04 PDT 1997

<< I would sort like to dispute that...you seem to forget that refrigeration
was not in existance until this century. I have cookbooks from the last
century... foods may have not been ''highly spiced'' - and that depends on
one's definition of spiced - but spices were used frequently to hide the tast
of food that was in the process of spoiling.  >>

I disagree entirely. There were in fact a large nimber of spices used in
period recipes BUT a variety of flavors does not translate into "heavily"
spiced. Once again I would point out that household accounts from the M.A.
show an average of 1 tsp./person of cinnamon, for instance. This can by no
means heavily spiced. As far as food spoilage I do not belief (and extant
period documents do not support) the idea that period people ate tainted
food. It was dried, salted, or cooked. Placed in vinegars or honey or
otherwise preserved or used. Since the average household staff consisted of
20 to 200 people it is, IMHO, somewhat ludicrous to belief that food spoiled
on a regular basis. Ice was also harvested and stored for use through the
summer and a good root cellar even today cannot be surpassed by refrigeration
for the storagfe of vehgetables.