SC - Bay-references

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 20:29:20 PDT 1997

     I have been cooking mundanely most of my life, starting before I clearly
remember helping my mother cook jello pudding on the stove.  It was my job to
stir it and not let it burn,  I started when I was 5 (this was in the days
before instant pudding).  And while that has nothing to do with bay leaves,
this will.
     As I have cooked, used recipes, and fed my family, I have used bay
leaves in many sauces and with roasts.  A couple of weeks ago, a friend of
mine was preparing his old standby of Chicken and Noodles.  He stewed the
chicken, and then added the spices as usual.  On the way to the party (it was
a potluck) I asked him if he had remembered to take the bay leaves out.  He
replied that he crumbled them up as he put them in.
     Now to the question.  Is this a normal practice?  I have always put in
the whole leaf, and taken it out before the dish was eaten.  Is it better
that way, or should I think of crumbling them up as I put them in?

Lady Tyrca, Barony Namron, Ansteorra