SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #326

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 3 18:46:58 PDT 1997

> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >niccolo difrancesco
> >

> A hint, since I made these and they were *devoured* while still too
> hot to
> eat in the wreath form: do not chop the almonds too finely.  Chunky
> almonds
> make for a lovely, nut brown cookie.

**** I'm planning a middle between the paste mentioned in my recipe and
the 'chunk' you recommend.  Texture is the lifeblood of any good cookie
(eg. a righteous oatmeal raisin number), so I will accept your idea of
chopping the slivered almonds, maybe a bit finer to the consistancy of a
fine dice.

>  The results were astounding. You are supposed to use a
> cookie press (which obviously won't work with chunky almonds), but I
> don't
> own one.

**** We mendicant medieval types can't afford such either.....besides, I
got no pockets to carry it in :o)  Now, a good Benedictine maight have
one with gold inlay!  The finger gives it that added flavor anyway.
That homemade, freeform earthy appearance is just so much more appealing
than a Martha Stewart art form.

>  I loaned that recipe out and never got it back. Now I have to run out
> and try yours!
>
> I do own an English version of the Italian recipe (Ratafia). Not from
> period source. Let me know if you'd like it anyway.

**** That would be a good thing for comparison.  I've started down this
road of period confections and dessert-type thingies.  Might make me
popular, might get me hung.  I appreciate the offer.  I can build up the
repertorie from tried and successful recipes as well as 'this seems like
what they meant in this middle english recipe'.  I am glad I could shake
loose a fond memory for you.  I'll give you an update as to how mine
turn out.  We have a Crown List coming up that my group is co-hosting.
I hope to have a prototype for the event to share about.  That and some
warm milk on a cold night would be splendid.

niccolo, now the cookie guy