SC - Rose Hip Wine Recipe

Ladypeyton at aol.com Ladypeyton at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 06:33:03 PDT 1997

I used dried Rose Hips, but I included all the information for using fresh
that I could find in my books.  Note: the only period recipes I could find
was from either Apicius or Pliny and used only Rose Petals.  The recipe makes
1 gallon.  If you are using a larger carboy then just multiply the
ingredients accordingly.

- -1 gallon water
- -6oz dried rose hips soaked overnight (keep the water) or 2 lbs fresh make
sure they are unsprayed
- -1 1/2 lbs white sugar + 1/2 lb brown sugar or 3 lbs light (read table) honey
- -1 tsp acid blend + 1 squeeze lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon
- -1 tsp yeast nutrient
- -5 drops pectic enzyme (liquid) or 1/2 tsp (powder)
- -1 cup white grape juice concentrate (I used Welch's)
- -1 packet Wine Yeast (I used Premier Cuvee)
- -OPTIONAL 1 Campden Tablet (I never use campden tablets because I don't like
sulfites in my wine A LOT of people are allergic to sulfites and don't
realize it therefore assuming they can't tolerate wine when it is an (I
believe)unneeded additive they are reacting to.)

*Acid blend, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, wine yeast are all available at
your local wine making supply store.  There is probably one in your area if
you really look.  I was surprised to find I have more than 4 within a half
hour drive.  On the other hand I live in Philadelphia.  If you absolutely
cannot find a supplier there are several mail order catalogs available and
several suppliers on the web. *

Rinse and pick over your rose hips.  If your rose hips are dried soak
overnight & drain (save liquid) if they are fresh then coarsely chop them in
a blender.  Put the rose hips in a jelly bag or a nylon straining bag.  Place
in the bottom of your primary fermenter.  Mash them with your sanitized
hands.  Pour sugar over bag.  Pour hot water (not boiling) over bag and sugar
and stir until the sugar is dissolved .  If you use honey then do boil the
honey & water together for @ 20 minutes (breaks down the honey & helps your
finished product to clear quicker & easier).  Cool slightly before pouring
over rose hips.  When tepid add acid, yeast nutrient, grape juice & if you
use one the campden tablet.  If you do not use the campden tablet then must
cools add pectic enzyme & wine yeast.  If you do use campden tablet then wait
12 hours then add pectic enzyme 12 hours later add yeast.  Cover tightly &
fit with an air lock.  Stir daily squishing the bag for a week.  After 2
weeks siphon into a glass carboy & fit with an air lock.  After 4 more weeks
rack to a clean carboy (I usually siphon into my primary fermenter, clean the
carboy I've been using all along & siphon back into the carboy)  I top off
the carboy with the soaking water I saved at the beginning of the procedure.
 You can also top off with white grape juice although the added sugar will
extend your fermenting process.  After 2 more weeks you should be able to
bottle your wine.  1 gallon must makes about 4 bottles wine.

A primary fermenter is a pail with a cover that is made out of food grade
plastic.  It is available at your wine making supply store for @ $10.  A
carboy is a glass container that looks like the top of a water cooler upside
down and is @ $5 to $15 depending on the size. Air locks are little water
locks that fit into rubber bungs that fit into 1)the hole drilled into the
top of the primary fermenter cover (small bung) & 2) the opening in the
carboy (larger bung).  You will need 2 rubber bungs (1 of each size).  Air
locks & rubber bungs are @ $1 each.

You must always sanitize your equipment before starting.  There are
sterilizing agents sold at supply stores or you can use the same bleach
mixture used to wash dishes at events.  I use a compound called  "One Step"
no rinsing is needed with this compound as it cleans with oxygen.  At any
other time you MUST rinse your equipment after it is sterilized.  Please be
strict with your sterilization.  Don't even so much as use a spoon to stir
the must if you haven't prepared it.  Same with your hands.

I just had Adrian, who is wine making illiterate, read over this to see if
I've left anything undefined and he said it was pretty easy to understand.
 However, he may have picked up some of the lingo by osmosis so if I've left
anything unclear, undefined or unexplained please let me know.  I'm preparing
to teach an introduction to wine making class and am still trying to work the
lingo out of my presentation.  I'm pretty nervous as this will be my first
expedition into teaching.

By the way the Apicius recipe went:  Make rose wine in this manner:  rose
petals, the lower white part removed, sewed into a linen bag and immersed in
wine for seven days.  Thereupon add a sack of new petals which allow to draw
for another seven days.  Again remove the old petals and replace them by
fresh ones for another week;  then strain the wine through the colander.
 Before serving add honey sweetening to taste.  Take care that only the best
petals free from dew be used for soaking.

Lady Peyton
Ladypeyton at aol.com