SC - period suerkraut?

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 5 20:19:50 PDT 1997

Aine of Wyvernwood said:

>add suerkraut to that list....originall it was put into crocks with a rock
>inside to keep the cabbage beneath the vinegar and burried to keep it cool and
to ferment...my mom makes the stuff, tho she does not bury it - it is the same.

So, I take it, that suerkraut may be period.

Does anyone have any period referances to it or recipes? What area of Europe
is it from? And I don't mean "Germany". If that is the area what part of
Germany? Like France, Germany was hardly homongenous in medieval times.

I don't like the stuff myself, but I'd like to hear more about it.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com