SC - Re:Onions/orange

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 5 18:40:58 PDT 1997

Robert Beaulieu wrote:

> -In a feast some years ago I came across a wonderful dish (side-dish)
> that was made of a slice of an orange and a slice of an onion with some
> kind of marinade (was likely made of vinegar), does anyone can help in
> finding the recipe?
>
>         -Also where (on-line) can I find a selection of period recipes?
>
>         thanks all...
>
>                 Lord Robert De QuelQuepart

The only written recipe for an orange-and-onion salad I have ever seen
was in a cookbook by James Beard. I believe it is of vaguely Spanish
origin, but I have no reason to believe it comes from a period source.

Without having Beard's recipe in front of me, I'd say about six seedless
oranges, peeled with a knife into "supremes" or skinless segments, and
one large red onion, sliced thinly into fans, tossed in a vinaigrette of
1 1/2 Tbs good red wine vinegar, 4 1/2 Tbs extra-virgin olive or
hazelnut oil, with 1/4 tsp. each of salt and fresh black pepper, and
topped with 2 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat parsley, should do the
trick. Toasted alomonds are a nice addition, too.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com