SC - Newcomers Redaction

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 6 13:41:29 PDT 1997

- ---Phyllis Spurr <PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us> wrote:
> Ok, newcomers, let's try our hand at the following receipt:
> To make a Tart of Ryce.
> Boyle your Rice, and put in the yolkes of two or three
> Egges into the Rice, and when it is boyled, put it into
> a dish, and season it with Suger, Cinamon, and Ginger,
> nad butter, and the iuyce of two or three
> Orenges, and set it on the fire againe.

Quick summary:
Boil [quantity] of rice, stir in three egg yolks, return to a boil.
Season with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, butter; add juice from two or
three oranges. Pour mixture into baking dish and cook until "set".

Off-the-cuff redaction (untested!!!):
1 c. rice
1 scant cup water (plus additonal as determined by need/experience)
3 egg yolks
1/4 c. sugar (I'd like to try this with Turbinado, trade name
              "Sugar in the Raw")
1 tsp each cinnamon & ginger
     (powdered; more or less to taste. Grated fresh ginger root
      preferred to dry powder, "true" cinnamon to cassia)
3 Tbsp butter (to start... adjust as needed, allow for greasing pan)
1 to 2 cups fresh-squeezed orange juice (one large modern orange;
            leave pulp in -- do not strain!)
     Prepare rice as usual for eating (boil water, add rice, return to
boil, cover pot tightly, allow to steam over very low heat 25-30
minutes, *don't lift lid!* until steaming complete, indicated by
complete absorption of liquid).
     While rice is still hot, combine with additional ingredients,
return to a boil while stirring constantly (to avoid sticking to
bottom of pot). Pour into buttered baking dish, bake carefully at
approx. 325 degrees F until liquid completely absorbed.

Expectations / notes: been a long time since I did (baked) rice
pudding from scratch, so I may have temp & time badly "off". The
quantity of sugar is probably extremely conservative / too little. I'm
coming from a mostly-modern background at the stove, so forgive me if
I have introduced modern technique biases. I generally use whatever
spices I have laid my hands on, i.e. supermarket dry powders, but am
*trying* to move toward fresher / more "period" types even in my daily
modern cooking.

> Dawson, Thomas, The Good Huswife's Iewel, 2 parts. London, 1596/7.
> The English Experience, Number 865, Walter J. Johnson, Inc.
> Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, Ltd. Amsterdam 1977 Norwood, N.J.

Theater of the Earth's Globe? IOW, [New] Globe Theater?

> We *can* do this!
> Phyllis L. Spurr
> Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd
> Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra

Easy for *you* to say, considering.

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!