SC - Salmon at feasts

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Oct 8 07:55:27 PDT 1997

Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

> OK, I admit it, I am a big salmon fan.  Furthermore, I'm darn sure
> it's an appropriate food for my persona (12th c. Ireland).

fresh, prepared en papillot on a bed of leeks, carrots and celery sauted
in butter with thyme and rosemary, topped with lemon slices and dabs of
butter-a la bretonne, in other words....sigh!

> However, at a mundane dinner (work), someone announced that they would
>
> not eat the salmon entree' because they "refuse to eat an endangered
> species."  (I live in the Pacific Northwest; the salmon runs are all
> in danger here up and down the coast.)  This is making me rethink one
> of my favorite dinners (sniff).

I didn't think that they were endangered, the fda probably wouldn't
allow it to be sold in grocery stores if they were endangered, i
wouldn't think...

> Fortunately, I guess, my wife hates salmon.

boo, hiss.

> I suppose what I am asking is - how much do we "worry" about things
> like this?  I've no problem with not eating salmon (more for me), but
> should our feasts also take into account mundane issues like this?

[getting out asbestos shield and preparing to duck]

I for one do not generally boycott foods other than veal, unless I know
the person who raised the calf and didnt mistreat it. I also am mot
particularly pc, but i would temper my menu to the prevailing tastes-
for example, despite the interest on line about horse, I would never
feature it at a feast. I might make a small pot of horse stew for myself
and if others wanted to try it, i would make it available, but the
general populace would have a conniption fit. I for one do not see the
difference between cow and any other animal raised for meat. I live on a
farm and regularly raise sheep and chickens for food. This spring I will
probably raide geese, turkeys and chickens, If I have the money I might
even get a pig. I hunt and fish, but we also do it for food, not
trophies...I guess I am a realistwhen it comes down to it, but I have
been tempted to make "flipper n grits" as my house hold calls it- non
mamillian dolphin and polenta- for a feast some time just to shock
people.

margali