SC - Cassoulet

Thu Oct 9 07:38:22 PDT 1997

>Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>
>> I haven't chased this one back to her sources, since I only found it two
>> nights ago while looking over everything I have with Elizabethan
>> recipes.
>
>Sass's source (try saying that 10x fast!) for the Tart of Beanes appears
>to have been "A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye", dated c. 1560. However,
>the original receipt does not specify the type of beans used. Sass
>appears to have opted for kidney beans for convenience. I suppose it's
>possible kidney beans were what was intended, but it's equally possible
>that split favas are what the original author would have used, they
>having been a common enough food item, and would have made an
>instruction to peel the beans, usually a necessary step for cooking
>favas, unnecessary.
>
>Anybody got a Gerard's Herbal? I believe it is pretty closely
>contemporary to the cookbook mentioned above... .
>
>Adamantius
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

I was thinking more of chasing back through the references on food
history rather than working through the recipe referenced before the
comments on kidney beans.

I was considering redacting the recipe using favas for a dinner party
I'm planning.  Since I have not cooked favas, your advice about using
split favas is definitely appreciated.  Do you have any other advice
about the use or preparation of fava beans which you would share with
us?

Bear