SC - re: beer bread

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Oct 10 17:27:50 PDT 1997

Gunthar asked:

> Okay, I don't do bread outside of an automatic bread machine so please
> answer a couple of questions.

> 1. You don't knead the dough? Are the quantities you listed for one loaf or
> do you divide into smaller loaves?

> 2. What kind of pan do you bake the bread in? Or do you bake it as a
> round loaf on a baking stone?

> 3. Isn't there a way to make this period?

> I'm really not being picky but this sounds like such an easy bread to make
> I would love to try it.

Gunthar,

	It really IS as easy as it sounds.  No, you do not need to knead it <hee hee>  as the dough is actually batter when you pour it into the pan.  (Knew I forgot something...)

	A standard loaf pan (greased) will hold a single recipe; though I usually bake it in a round biscuit tin or pie plate for a less obviously-mundane look.

	I am quite certain that bread using ale as the primary liquid ingredient would be quite period; they tended to use wine and ale in cooking rather frequently, and I can't imagine a reason to leave it out of your bread if it's already in your soppes, your chykones and your wardonys.  But not being in possession of very much source material nor time to experiment, I will probably have to leave it to someone else to invent/rediscover... unfortunately.

	- kat