SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #358

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Oct 14 08:08:29 PDT 1997

><< Many of the
> herbs used in period really aren't safe for ingestion. >>

>Say what?

>Ras

That's what I get for throwing off a note from work.  Some of the herbs used
in period are of dubious safety for ingestion; comfrey, tansy, rue, and
pennyroyal (and I have recipes using these) come to mind.  Other herbs can
cause contact dermatitis, photosensitivity, etc. and it is wise to know this
before you begin experimentation.

So using a modern herbal to verify the use of period herbs is a sensible
precaution.

Derdriu