SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #354

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 14 16:58:01 PDT 1997

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

> >As for the truffles, FWIW, there's a guy in Oregon selling fresh
> >cutivated black truffles for around $100 a pound, who advertises and
> >takes orders on the Web.
>
> What is the Web Site?   live in Oregon, and I would love to know how and
> where this guy is doing this?  I have NEVER heard of anyone growing Truffles
> in the US.  I was led to believe that they would ONLY grow in restricted
> parts of Europe!  This is encouraging for me!
>
> -Laurene

Okay. I went looking for the Web site, and haven't found it. It may have
been some kind of hoax, I don't know, but the claim was that these are a
local, indigenous product, that had been cultivated by carefully
removing truffles and their little fungi-spore threads (starts with an
"m", but I forget the word, and am tired today...), complete with the
soil they rested in. The entire plug was cut into pie-graph sections or
wedges, and reburied under the roots  of other trees. Apparently the cut
truffle parts healed into whole truffles again, and the spore threads
gave rise to new truffles, and neww threads grew out of the healed-over
cut surfaces.

I printed this information out last year, and it appears to have
vanished in the Great Morass of Lost Papers, the Information Bermuda
Triangle... .

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com