SC - Small Feasts

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Tue Oct 14 23:49:19 PDT 1997

>Maeve said:
>
>>The day of the contest, I cooked leeks in almond milk, a dish of beans and
>>peas( peas cooked in ale and caraway), hard boiled quails eggs, Hens of
>>greece, ruzzge cakes and a clever dish of plums.
>
>Where did you get quails eggs? Are these something that you find in your
>grocery store? I assume you hard boil them like chicken eggs. Do they
>taste different or are they just smaller or colored differently?

A friend found them in the food coop in Eugene on the way back from an
event in southern Oregon.  I just boiled them like chicken eggs.  they
taste very good, better than chicken eggs.  They are much smaller and the
shells are mottled. Inside they look much like chicken eggs.

>What are Hens of greece? recipe?

It is a recipe from ein guter spise.  I forget which one.  I took eggs
beaten up with spices (caraway and ginger come to mind) and put this in the
bottom of a greased springform pan.  Then I took bread (w/o crusts) and
dipped in milk and them eggs and them semmel (which I took to mean semolina
- - I used semolina flour) and fried them, them placed that in the egg
mixture, then chopped up chicken which had been roasted with bacon, then
apple rounds also fried and kept layering till the pan was full.  I put an
oven proof pie pan with pie weights oin it on top to weigh it down and then
baked till the egg was cooked.  Turn it out and serve with a wine ginger
sauce.  It was good.