SC - re: feastocrat vs. head cook

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 15 20:11:30 PDT 1997

Robert Newmyer wrote:

>         Adamantius, I attended the event where your lady surprised you with an
> award (was it a "Maunche") several years ago in New Jersey. A great bit of
> court business.

She does things like that, of course. That was at the Coronation of
Horic and Leah, put on by Ostgardr (cooking by yours truly), at a site
in Rusted Woodlands. When Horic won Crown, he and Leah asked my wife to
make several fine silver cloisonne enamel medallions for various orders.
In some cases she knew who and what they were for, but in some she
didn't. My Maunche, depicting, as the device of the Maunche does, a
sleeve, is actually an arm in a sleeve, whose hand is holding a ladel. I
couldn't really give this to another Maunche, unless it was another
cook, which may have been the intention in the first place, for all I
know. Actually Caendra was the one who was really surprised, as TMs had
asked which of the non-allocated Maunche medallions was the nicest, and
she said there was only one that was really perfect.

So, they hauled me out of the kitchen and Caendra put my medallion
around my neck, and I was dismissed from the Royal presence. Caendra
assumed that she was free to go, also, but Horic yelled, "Not so fast,
Lady!" They nailed her too, with the medallion that she had said was the
only one that was perfect. Of course the others all had glaring flaws
which a professional jeweller might have spotted after nine or ten
years, with a powerful  microscope...

That was also the event where my knees locked up, and I couldn't rise,
and almost keeled over backwards down the stairs that led up to the
dais. Luckily Horic saw this and reached out and grabbed me by the front
of my cote (yes, that cote). A lady came up to me later and said it was
the most moving thing she had ever seen...for a grown man to lose
control that way showed great sensitivity. I told her that I had had
some trouble getting up. She said that it was like me to try to come up
with a simple, practical, emotionless excuse, but that she had seen my
inner spirit, or some such, and that it was a beautiful moment. I told
her that my knees had locked in place, and that I couldn't get up, and
almost fell when I tried. She said that it was the eighties, and it was
OK for men to become emotional... .

BTW: did you get any of the standing rib roast? After high table had
been served, Horic sent the remaining eighteen pounds or so out to the
hall. It was quite a sight, as the ribs had been only minimally trimmed,
so it looked like the Bronto Ribs from the Flintstones.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com