SC - Parent from Hell (was Children From Hell

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Oct 16 09:30:40 PDT 1997

>I am just curious, where _were_ the parental units of this little heathen?

Agreed.  Where were they?

>I am the parent of three, and I simply have to disagree, been doing the
parent
>thing for the last 27 yrs...and babysat for about 10yrs before that...

I am the chancellor minor of my local group, plus babysitting (oodles of
that), but not a parent.

>It is a disservice to your child if you think that child has limited
>understanding of later versus now.   Kids understand far more than we adults
>give them credit for.    At the tender ages of you youngsters discussed here,
>my
>kids were never let out of my eyesight, unless at home, in the home.
>At events, they were glued to my side.
>I have a problem with all this redirect stuff.   Tell me gentles who is going
>redirect and out of control teenager?  Teaching the  kids NO and Later
>are important.  Setting clear definable limits teaches children that there
are
>limitis everywhere.  Redirecting is fine, but there is not one to redirect an
>adult...
>can ya see it now, kid whips out a gun at a 7-11 to rob it and poof outta
>nowhere comes this genie to redirect his bad behavior....sure and if you
>believe
>that, I got some Trimarian swampland to sell you, cheap no gators neither....

What a child understands quite clearly depends on their age.  Even a
1-year-old can understand "No."  The five-year-old clearly understood later;
most five year olds can (except in exceptional cases).  Five-year-olds also
understand "trouble," "bad," and "lie."

This is what I see can come of letting a child have their own way too often,
and of not providing activities for children to do at events.  Ultimately,
this is the responsibility of the parents; however, more and more local groups
are instituting positions of chancellor's minor/minister of children to help
parents and autocrats with ideas for activities for children.

>Ras, did the parents ever show up and apologize for thier little terror?

If the parents didn't, then maybe that explains the behavior of the child.

>aine

Derdriu