SC - Apples and Chestnuts

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Oct 16 10:02:59 PDT 1997

i found the following recipe for Apple and Chestnut Pie in a paper  I wrote
long ago, which I am re-vamping for the kingdom newsletter. It should take
care of both the apple and the chestnut surplus. I havn't tested it, however
it sounds good.

Aoife

Chestnut Pye
To Make A Cheftnut Pye (Mrs. McClintock's Receipt Book, 1700s)
Take 2 dozen of Apples, 100 Chefnuts, a lib. of Almonds, 2 lib. of Currans,
half a lib. of Rafins, half a lib. of Sugar, half an Ounce of Cinnamon, 3
Drop of Nutmeg, a Quarter of a lib. of Cordecidron, as much Orange-peel;
flice your Apples, fkin the Chefnuts, and blanche the Almonds, put a layer
of Appls in the Bottom of the Pye, put a Layer of Chefnuts, a Layer of
Almonds, Currans, Raifins, Cordecidron, Orange-peil and Spices; Give it good
ftore of fweet Butter on the Top, then put on the Lid, and fend it to the
oven; when 'tis near fired, pour in a Mutchkin of white Wine at the Lumb.

(Lumb is a vent or funnel in a pie. Mutchkin is .212 litres or 2.996 gills,
if that actually helps!)