SC - Small Feasts-'unplanned' LONG

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:25:41 PDT 1997

- ---Woeller D <angeliq1 at erols.com> wrote:
> > BTW Ruby pickled eggs?  Recipe please?
> Very easy-but, I'm sorry to say, not period at all, however,
> I'm willing to bet you could make a similar, period-style,
> more involved recipe. I'm still learning,and am no great,
> nor period cook- just like to eat, and
> like low-hassle food. With that said:

Much to be said for low-hassle. And, to quote an old saying now in
much disfavor (more's the pity) "the name is CREATIVE Anachronism":
they had eggs in period, they had beets, they were always interested
in new and better ways of preserving and presenting foods, pickling
was practiced, and -- besides all of the above -- SOME people in the
C.M.A. like them.

(for the gentle who mentioned soda as a beverage in the standard camp
foods, be assured that you are not alone. cf. Vargswill, Ormswill,
Burkeswill, "South Downs Ale", and similar substitute-names for
Coca-Cola, Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper, and Coca-Cola [respectively -- I
*think* I have the attributions in correct and proper order, unless I
reversed the preference of Vargskol Halfbloodson and Red Orm Skolbdig])

Quibble:
> Everyone loves this.

Nope, not everybody. I'll loudly defend inclusion of this "perioid"
manner of egg preparation, at least as I understand what may have been
possible or conceivable. But I *don't* love 'em.

I'm an adult. I can say it, and nobody can keep me from it:

     I don't like beets, or things made with beets, or
     things resembling beets. Much less "love" them.

Now, that being said, I won't necessarily turn them away completely
from my plate or palate as vehemently as when I was a child. I'll
taste a small portion, be as polite as possible, and reserve my
appetite for things that I enjoy.

Hey, who knows? One of these days I may even find a beet dish that I
enjoy. Happened with another food item (eggplant - I inquired about
the baba ghanoush for a *reason*, people! -- and many thanks to those
who have responded with suggested sources...)

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!