SC - Small Feasts-'unplanned' LONG

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Oct 18 11:59:27 PDT 1997

At 11:10 AM -0400 10/16/97, Woeller D wrote:
>in case EVEN MORE people show up'. A lot of this stuff is, or might be
>OOP,(anyone care to list the period/not period ratings, be my guest... I
>don't know, on some things) but noone complains when they're hungry.

> Rye or other bagels (OOP? could be, don't care, too good to
>pass up);

I don't know of any period recipes, and I believe the traditional story of
the invention of the Begel puts it a little post period. Whether the story
is true I have no idea.

>canned pickles; canned Lebanese olives; canned hummus & babaghanoush;

I have not yet found any period recipes for either hummus or babaghanoush,
and I have looked. Chickpeas, sesame and eggplants are all common in period
Islamic cooking. I do have a spread based on eggplant (Baddinjan Muhassa),
but it is not at all like babaghanoush.

It is, however, better.

>Beef or Turkey Jerky,

turkey, of course, if very late period. Meat was dried in period, but I
don't know whether jerky (which I gather is more than simple dried
meat--I've never made it) is period (European).

 Carr's
>gingerbread-lemoncreme cookies;

Probably not. But period gingerbread (there is a recipe in the
_Miscellany_) is yummy, easy to make, and keeps forever (if you don't eat
it). It is very unlike what we now call gingerbread.

>sealed-foil poundcakes;

I don't know any period poundcake recipes. Does anyone?

>A blanket, tablecloth &
>pillows are nice, if you have room in your car/truck/bus, in case there
>aren't (or aren't enough) tables.

A cheap fake oriental rug is even better.

Our equivalent collection, generally on a less heroic scale, would be
sausage (non-pork, since in persona I am Muslim), apples, bread, cheese,
gingerbrede, hulwa, khushkananaj, currant cakes, sekanjabin, and sometimes
small mead. In our case, one motive is feeding the hungry, one is
demonstrating the medieval virtue of generosity--but an additional motive
is making people familiar, and comfortable, with period food.

I have a period recipe for a cooked cold chicken, apparently preserved, but
have not experimented with it enough to say whether it would work as a
period equivalent of the canned ham etc.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/