SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #373

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 19 14:25:47 PDT 1997

Oops!  Forgot to include name of person who wrote:

>Is this an Eastern thing?  I have never been east of the Mississippi
>(except for a couple of trips to Pennsic and Gulf Wars) and have never
>heard of frying bologna.  We were served cold bologna on Wonder Bread
>with Miracle Whip (memories of my childhood) needing to be taken with
>copius amounts of cold milk.  (because the bread tended to glue itself
>to the roof of my mouth).  But frying it??? Sounds less than
>intriguing.

Fried bologna sandwiches are "typical" of certain areas of the Midwest.
 The bologna is not pre-sliced, or at least is thicker sliced than the
stuff one commonly buys in the store.  It bends itself into a concave
shape.  If one goes to Pennsic (depending on the route...!) one can get
excellent fried bologna sandwiches on homemade rye bread at The Leaf, a
lovely little restaurant at Milepost 151 on I-71 about half an hour
north of Columbus, Ohio, and 1.5 hours south of Cleveland.  They have
wonderful homebaked pies which change daily.  (Monday is always
chocolate cream pie!)  You won't find fried bologna sandwiches in major
chains such as Denny's but come and try The Leaf!

Alys Katharine