SC - pickled herring

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 19 17:44:01 PDT 1997

Greetings,

I noticed some jars of pickled herring in my grocery store on Friday.
There were several varieties. I will take a pad and pencil next time
I go. But I am wondering how you might use the plain, pickled
herring?

These were in either a small or large (quart?) size jar and were
cross-sections of fish, not filleted. I don't think I would like the
taste of the fish straight out of the jar, so what kind of recipes
would you use them in or otherwise eat them? I'm assuming these are
pretty close to medieval pickled herrings.

Some of the other varieties seemed to be packed in cream or some kind
of cream sauce.

Stefan li Rous
  (The SCA has certainly broadened my tastes. I wouldn't have even
considered this pickled herring several years ago.)