SC - SC- Basic Cookbooks

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Mon Oct 20 08:15:47 PDT 1997

>Can the good members of this list recommend any good, basic cookbooks?  Now
>that I've finally unpacked all of mine I realized that I don't own a basic
>cookbook.

I wouldn't have a kitchen without a copy of The Joy of Cooking.
I use it all the time, even when I'm doing otherwise period
cooking, for stuff like how long to roast a piece of meat.

I also own the Fanny Farmer cookbook, 2 vols of Julia Child "Mastering
the Art of French Cooking", the Betty Crocker cookbook, most of
the Frugal Gourmet books (not for how to cook, but for the recipes),
and others, but it's the Joy that gets the heavy use and falls open
right away to particular favorites.  Whenever I have a basic question,
I "ask Irma" (Irma Rombauer, author of Joy of Cooking).

- --Caitlin Davies