SC - Off-Topic: Meat Salad

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 20 15:48:14 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

>   All this mouthwatering talk of smorgasbord reminds me of a
>   dish I had in the Norwegian restaurant at DisneyWorld (Epcot
>   Center).  They called it "Meat Salad".  It consisted of
>   thinly-sliced cooked meat (beef, I think, but can't be sure),
>   and sliced onions, in a spicy-sweet red sauce that may
>   have had tomatoes in its background.  Served cold.
>
> Sounds a lot like Thai "Yum Nua", if I recall correctly.  Beef, red onions,
> and a lemon sauce, served cold.  Deelish.

Many European nations, and some Southeast Asian ones, as the estimable
Tibor points out, have some variation on the theme of the meat salad. My
favorite is Salade Parisienne, which is more or less like a Salad
Nicoise, with shredded, braised beef in place of the tuna and anchovy.
The German version often uses shredded ham or other cured meats,
including some types of sausage, usually with a mayonnaise-based
dressing. What the sweet-spicy tomato-based dressing you refer to could
be, I haven't an earthly, but I'm extremely tempted, based only on gut
instinct, to suggest it is Peter Luger Steak Sauce, which is kind of a
sweet, thin, non-homogeneous ketchup with horseradish and other
flavorings added. Any reason to believe there is oil in it? Could be a
variant on what used to be called "French Dressing", in the sixties. Not
the bright orange stuff that is NOW inaccurately called French Dressing,
but the dark red stuff that USED to be inaccurately called French
Dressing, y'unnerstand...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com