SC - Small Feasts-'unpl

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Tue Oct 21 16:40:02 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Small Feasts-'unpl                  10/21/97

>...Are there any "period" "sodas"?  Gingerbeer?  Birchbeer?  ale... etc?

I think that depends on what you mean by "soda." There are slightly alcoholic
fizzy drinks, such as Kenelm Digby's "Weak Honey Drink," which we generally
refer to as small mead and which is flavored with ginger (the recipe was
published mid 17th <snip>

I was thinking of brewed fermented things- I remember my dad experimenting for
some time with this sort of thing when I was little.  At least once a week a
bottle would "explode" and the house would smell of rootbeer or whatever he
was experimenting with.
- -brid