SC - medieval "spam"?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 22 07:44:14 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> There isn't anything medieval even close to spam, is there?
>   (wondering hopefully?) Perhaps a ground ham of some type?
>   I love pan fried or fried spam.

Well, I already knew some of our tastes in food differ, but you needn't
rub it in ;  ) .

Probably the closest thing you'll find would be some kind of brawn,
which, in (relatively late) period, would be a boneless whole, small
pig, or a piece thereof, with some skin on it, brine-cured or "pickled",
rather like corned beef or some such, rolled up, tied in a bundle, and
braised. It would then be packed in some kind of a crock, with the
concentrated cooking liquid poured over it, which gels when cooled.
Remember that aspic we were talking about? This will keep for quite a
while (probably two or three weeks in a cool place if undisturbed, but
your mileage will vary according to temperature).

This is the ancestor of the various modern souse meats and head cheeses.
Eat sliced, with mustard.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com