SC - Re: feastocrat vs. head cook

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 22 13:08:58 PDT 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> Having external management is uncommon at the feasts I've worked.  As
> I've said elsewhere, I've used it once and it worked.  I'm just curious
> about what to call such a person, should I need to use the title.
> Besides, I might use such a title in an event announcement where I am
> feast autocrat and refer to myself as the Kitchen Master in the menu,
> where I am wearing the cook's hat.

Hmmm. I still like "pest" best, which is a perfectly period term for
anything that plagues us. Seriously, though, officier is probably the
term you are looking for, but it may lose a good chunk of its impact if
it has to be explained ad infinitum. Another possibility would be
butler, except for the modern servile connotations. I, for one, have
never seen a servile butler, and neither did P.G. Wodehouse, I'll bet.
The office of the pantler is another possiblity. The pantler is on the
same rung as the butler in the medieval household structure; both would
work under the authority of the officier or the steward, the butler
having to do primarily with wines and other beverages, and their
service, while the pantler deals with food and its service. Perhaps
Chief Server?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com