SC - Cannibals

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Thu Oct 23 11:45:53 PDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:26:32 +1100 (EST) Charles McCN
<charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au> writes:
>When the first crusdae took Ma'arrat (spelling? - I reenact Normans,
>so I
>don't need to know how to _spell_ these fancy foreign towns (if you
>believe that, go read some more history)) The Franks roasted babies on
>
>spits and ate them. I forget the primary sources. I think it may be
>mentioned in Gesta Francorum Hierusalemitorum, and there is at least
>one
>contemporary arabic source.
>
>Charles
Hold! Now, Charles, are you reading a COOKbook,or simply a period piece
of propaganda written by the arabic side to prove how nasty and
horrendous those Franks really are? The reason I ask is because one of
the most common charges against an enemy,especially one of a different
culture, is Cannibalism. (i.e. during the Western Movement of the last
century, this charge was often flung at the Native Americans, regardless
of evidence)
Lady Beatrix