SC - Starter Knife Set

Ragnar Ketilsson axenbolt at mailexcite.com
Thu Oct 23 13:07:05 PDT 1997

I do not know if your area has many yard sales, rummage sales, etc, but they can
be a great source for good knives.  The only knife I've paid a lot for was a Wusthoef(sp.
- - replace oe with umlaut o in the name printed on the knife) Trident 12" Chef's knife,
which was also the first forged knife I owned.  Well worth it, but that was a month's
disposable income in one bit of steel.  My wife found a forged, high carbon Dexter
chef's knife at a permanent flea market about 20 years ago for $3.50, and she still
has it.

Big stones are nice for sharpening, but keeping a consistent angle takes lots of
practice, help from tricks or devices, or both.  Some good knife stores sell a cradle
which clamps onto the spine of your knife, forcing a constant angle on the stone
face.  Another butcher's trick my Dad taught me was to use one or two fingers on
the knife's spine( not for double-edged blades!), laying the knife toward the centerline
of your index finger and resting your hand on the stone face. Both the clamp-on and
the finger trick work best with knives under 7".

Hope this helps,
Ragnar
- ---

http://www.mailexcite.com