SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Fri Oct 24 07:17:34 PDT 1997

> Technically, perhaps. Although I am more inclined to view sweet potatoes as
> the more accurate potato. Be that as it may, I for one, would prefer to send
> out for pizza rather than sit down to a feast which included New World foods
> unless the feast were an authentic Aztec feast or something similar. I can
> and do eat those on a daily basis negating any need on my part to spend good
> money on an SCA feast which included them.

Good Lord Ras,

Your knowledge of period cookery far outshines mine and I sure your skill in
the culinary arts are wonderful. I would be extremely honored to meet you
one day and share food and knowledge tidbits. But as you can no doubt tell
from the polite smokescreen I just threw up I must have a difference of opinion
or at least a question to you. Last weekend at Crown the feast was wonderfully
prepared. Good food, plentiful, and well presented. I enjoyed it thoroughly and
couldn't even eat dessert although it looked wonderful. Not one bit of it was
period. After the first course I promised my other diners that I would be good
and stop commenting on how this and that was incorrect. I shrugged my shoulders
and ate a simply wonderful meal. Later that evening I found the Head Cook and
told him how tasty and well-prepared the meal was. Considering some of the
events of that day and the fact that he was supervising cleanup I wasn't in the
mood for a long chat about period cookery. Someday in the future I would like
to take him aside and get him interested in doing it right. Now on to the real
meat of this; would you have looked at the the contents of this feast and "went
out for pizza" or would you have gone "oh well" and eaten a very good meal?
What if you were the Crown or the local Baron? I think this could be a fun
ethical question for those of us wanting to promote period foods at events.

For example, we are doing a stone soup for an event this weekend. There's no
way it's going to be a period meal but it will be hot and filling on some
cold misty weather.

> Ras

Yers,

Gunthar