SC - pickled herring and salted

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sat Oct 25 21:59:30 PDT 1997

I said and then Par Leijonhufvud replied to me:

> > I thought the pickled herring was. That was one reason I wanted to try it.
> > But I am open to trying modern recipes too. I haven't been able to find salted
> > or dried herring yet.
>
> Haven't seen any dried in the stores, but the salted stuff (for the
> do-it-yourself enthusiast) is available in virtually all supermarkets
> over here.

Well, lo and behold, I was in the same store (H.E.B.) on Friday night where I saw
the pickled herring last week and I checked the same refrigerated case and
I found 1 lb. packages of salted codfish for a little over $6 US. These come in
crude little wooden boxes and are stamped "Product of Canada". They say they are
choice boned. The instructions say to wash the fish in running water for fifteen
minutes, then to place the fish in pan and cover with water. Then heat slowly and
pour off the water.(do not boil). Then to repeat this last process until fish is
no longer too salty to taste.

I assume from other comments here that you then cook the fish as if it were fresh.

Another interesting comment is that it also says "Keep in a cool dry place
preferably 40 degrees F. If I need to keep it this cool, why do I need it salted?
Although I guess it will make it last longer. But is does make me wonder since
it is salted, how long will it keep at room temperature?

Since we had rushed into the store to get food for the event today, I didn't take
pad and pencil to note down the different types of herring. But you all pretty much
indicated that you eat it straight out of the jar, anyway.

The jar I decided to try was Lascco brand, Spiced cut herring. The ingredient list
says: herring, corn syrup, salt brine, distilled vinegar, onions, spices. I found
the piece I tried a little sour, but not that strong. I thought it was interesting
and could get to like it. This was only a six ounce jar, so I probably will eat
only a little at a time. I may try the one in the wine sauce or the cream sauce next.
Thanks for the encouragement to try this unusual item. My wife, Lady Alina, made
sure that niether of these items came into contact with stuff *she* was going to
eat. (even though all of them were packaged in plastic or glass) :-)

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com