SC - ginger plants

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 26 16:16:30 PST 1997

Ras said:

Same freeze warning here. :-( I dug up my ginger and brought it inside in a 5
gal. container. The plant is 3 ft. tall. :-0 It started as a small piece of
frech ginger that I tho' had went over the hill. I buried it in a trench with
other household waste and it came up on it's own. ;-)

So, how big is the root on the 3 ft. tall plant? I've seen and used fresh
ginger roots in pieces from two or three inches long to six or eight, but
I have no idea if the plant these were attached to was that size or larger
or smaller. It also would appear that since you are having to bring the
ginger inside that ginger was not grown in Europe. In this case, would they
have had fresh ginger at all or would they have only used a more or less dried
root?

Stefan li Rous