SC - white drinks and other

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 26 17:54:32 PST 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Kumiss? Although, yes that was once milk.

Fresh kumiss is white. Aged kumiss is sort of a tranlucent yellowish.
Kinda like cheese-flavored white wine.

> Perhaps some sort of clotted or sour cream? Was the later used in the Middle
> Ages? Are of talking about a condiment for just bread or other items? Although
> not as useable, salt would fit and it is white.

Actually, little swan-shaped nefs would be really nice. But this is
entirely a matter of opinion, of course. You might find something you
like better.

> Not for the swans, but wouldn't a turnip dish fit the idea of a "white" dish?
> Was there a mashed turnip dish similar to our mashed potatos?

I believe Digby has a recipe for mashed, buttered parsnips. They'd be
pretty white. Is there a specific chronological theme for this feast?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com